VoiceCast: Weekly update (Feb. 13, 2009)

Anna Bastidas and Vienna Tran of The Paly Voice recap the week of Feb. 7-13, 2009.

The following is a complete transcript of the above podcast.

Bastidas: Hi Paly, this is Anna Bastidas and Vienna Tran of The Paly Voice bringing you the latest news from the Paly campus for the week of Feb. 7 to Feb. 13 in our third weekly update.

Tran: The Friends of Millard Fillmore Club fell to fourth place in last week’s competition. Castilleja won the competition, beating Gunn, Woodside, Notre Dame, Carlmont, and Paly. Also, the mock trial team competed in the Constitutional Rights Foundation’s county tournament. The prosecution won against Los Altos and lost to Archibishop Mitty this week, and the defense beat both Pioneer and Leigh last week. Congratulations to the team, which made the quarter-finals.

Bastidas: On Wednesday, Paly choirs performed Disney songs at their annual Valentine’s Day concert. The choirs performed twice, at 3:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. in the Student Center. Beginning Choir, Concert Choir, and the Madrigals performed, as did female groups Spectrum and the Heartbeats, and the newly formed all-male a capella group The Heartbreakers.

Tran: The second Brown Bag Lunch Show of the year, senior Ian Dunbar’s “The Ballad of the Mad Angus Bruce,” will be performed Thursday, Feb. 19, in the Haymarket Theater.

Bastidas: Next week, local Red Cross clubs are hosting a fundraiser at Chevy’s in Mountain View, Between 11 a.m. and 9 p.m., 25 percent of sales made will be donated to the Youth Services programs at the Silicon Valley Red Cross chapter. Students who attend will receive half an hour of community service for every person that they bring, including themselves. Bring a flier to the restaurant to facilitate donations. The link to the flier is in the text below. Print them here.

Tran: In sports news, varsity boys’ basketball was eliminated from contention for the SCVAL De Anza Division after losing to Cupertino, 39-38, on Tuesday night. Girls’ basketball fell to Lynbrook, 52-42, on Wednesday night. Girls’ soccer lost, 4-3, to Mountain View on Feb. 6, while the boys were more successful, winning, 2-0, against Milpitas.

Bastidas: We would like to wish Paly’s debate team best of luck as they participate in a tournament at Berkeley this weekend.

Tran: This was Anna Bastidas and Vienna Tran for The Paly Voice. If you have any news that you think we might miss, email us at [email protected]. Tune in next week for the latest news.