New campus construction proposal deadline closing fast

Paly students will soon be able to view and comment on the new campus construction proposal drafted by the Paly Facilities planning group.

The latest Paly Facilities meeting regarding the new campus proposal took place on Feb. 11 in the library. During the meeting, several members of Paly staff and faculty discussed the general placement and orientation of school buildings, as well as parking lot issues.

Principal Jacqueline McEvoy said during the meeting that she has already spoken to several teachers about the proposal, and will also visit classrooms during the week of Feb. 23 to give short, 10-20 minute presentations about some of the proposals and collect student feedback on them.

One of the proposed features of the new campus is to include more overhang areas and connections between buildings. Informal research done by staff members shows that students tend to congregate under the overhang during break periods, especially during times of bad weather.

New pathways would also be laid down alongside the quad, creating a direct path connecting opposite sides of the school. These pathways are especially necessary for sporting events, during which visitors find it difficult to find the football field or the gymnasium from the Embarcadero parking lot, according to McEvoy.

The proposal would also make the turnaround in the Churchill parking lot much more clearly defined. In addition, the proposal would replace some areas of asphalt in the area into walkway pavement, discouraging the use of cars on the main campus itself.

On Feb. 18, the Facilities planning group will hold its last meeting before the initial proposal is presented to the Board of Education on March 3. Students are welcome to attend and submit feedback, either verbally or in writing, about the new campus designs by attending the meeting, which will be held at 3:15 p.m. in the Paly Library.