Photography program holds recycling fundraiser

Paly’s photography program is currently holding an earth-friendly fundraiser by collecting old handheld electronics to be recycled.

The photo program is working in collaboration with Ecophones, a company that recycles cell phones and consumer electronics collected by schools and companies, giving them money in return.

Ecophones will pay Paly for the collected devices, which can range from cell phones and laptops to iPods and small electronics. Ecophones will either refurbish or destroy them, according to Margo Wixsom, head of Paly’s photography program.

With the money raised by students and their donations, Wixsom, who is organizing the fundraiser, wants to add to the photo program’s stock of camera lenses.

“We would really like to get some fisheye lenses which are becoming more and more popular and some vibration-free lenses,” Wixsom said. “The fundraiser allows us to look at the bigger ticket items that can really affect the photography class, while simultaneously aiding the environment.”

Wixsom said that the program is a way to directly involve students in the recycling process, especially with electronics and the growing number of devices that students can accumulate over the years.

“You can bring in all your old games, your PSP that has been lying around for years, any old cell phones,” Wixsom said. “I have tried to get the school involved by collecting all the used ink jet cartridges; kids can have their parents collect those from their workplace.”

Moreover, Wixsom says she intends to purchase used lenses, prolonging the life of the lenses before they are recycled. Giving the students quality lenses while downplaying the importance of new materials is a vital step in teaching the idea of reusing products, Wixsom says.

In its first year, the photography fundraiser has already shown great promise to Wixsom, who says she has already received several donations of laptops in addition to her collection of ink jet cartridges.

Wixsom tries to integrate the values of recycling into her photo classes and has assigned the “Tree Project” to her classes, which involves the ideas of conservation, waste, and the human impact on the environment through a photographic medium.

“The Ecophones fundraiser is only a part of the photo department’s tangible contribution to making Paly a more environmentally friendly place,” Wixsom said.

The recycling fundraiser will end at the beginning of March. Donations can be brought to Room 101 or to the main office.