Student artwork decorates Academic Resource Center

In addition to being a place for students to make up tests and attend tutoring sessions, the Academic Resource Center is now also a showroom for student artwork.

Currently, seniors Julia Benton and Tim Qin both have artwork displayed in the ARC. Benton’s photographs cover a wall in the main study room and Qin’s drawings and paintings adorn a wall in the test-taking area.

Benton’s section consists of a collection of her work from the past year in an exhibit titled “Fleeting Moments.”

“I want my photography to show things that people might otherwise miss, everyday situations in a new perspective,” Benton said.

Benton is currently the photography and graphics editor for The Campanile, and plans on pursuing photography as a career.

“It [photography] is my favorite thing ever,” Benton said.

Qin contributes his talent to Verde Magazine at Paly, while his piece “The Amazing Mind of Teenager” recently qualified for the state level of the National PTA Reflections Art Contest. See the story here.

ARC co-coordinator Noel Beitler asked both students whether they would be willing to put their work on display after she heard of their talents from “friends of friends.”

Qin’s work was first on display spring of last year. Benton had a small exhibit last year, and updated her exhibit recently.

“I was pretty taken aback when she asked,” Qin said.

Beitler says that it is somewhat surprising how respectful people are of the art.

“It [the artwork] is very admired and no one touches it,” Beitler said.

Both Benton and Qin appreciate the feedback on their pieces that they receive from students as a result of displaying the paintings in the ARC.

“It’s very nice when people tell me that they see the pictures,” Benton said. “It’s always good when your work is well-received.”

Having their artwork displayed in the ARC has also exposed Benton and Qin’s talents to the greater Paly community.

“I’ve had people come up to me and say, ‘Tim, you do art?'” Qin said.

Beitler encourages artists to offer their work to be put on display in the ARC.

“I welcome all contributions,” Beitler said. “I can and I will find a place for everything.

Benton appreciates the opportunity she has to share her work with the Paly community.

“It’s nice to have a place at school for artists to show their work,” Benton said.

Qin agrees, and is also appreciative of the ambiance that the artwork provides for the ARC.

“I think the art definitely adds a more interesting aspect to the ARC,” Qin said. “The ARC is such a high-powered tutoring environment and I think it’s nice to have some art around to calm people down.”