Principal: All students must take charter bus to prom

Paly Principal Jacqueline McEvoy announced today that every student attending prom this year will be required to take a charter bus to and from the event.

The announcement was made in a meeting with the Associated Student Body.

“Two groups of parents [PTA executive board and Site Council] came to me and asked me to make this decision,” McEvoy said.

In the past, Paly students have had the choice between taking a limo and taking a charter bus to prom. The main reason McEvoy cited for requiring all students to take the bus is the current economic situation, which continues to worsen, according to a statement that McEvoy released after her announcement to ASB. According to McEvoy, the unemployment rate in Santa Clara has now reached above eight percent, and subsequently, many students may not be able to afford a limo.

“The economic situation is so compelling,” McEvoy said. “The problem with limos is the discrepancy between people who can afford it and those who can’t.”

Another reason all students will be required to take buses is the plethora of alcohol-related problems during last year’s prom limo rides: several students who rode limos arrived to the dance under alcoholic influence, according to McEvoy.

“If we deal with [the alcohol issue] at school before people board the buses, we will have more control over that,” McEvoy said.

Last year, Gunn High School adopted the all-bus transportation rule. According to McEvoy, this was very successful, and Paly’s transportation will be modeled after it.

“I get that it may not be a popular decision,” McEvoy said. “Many groups on campus support it, but in the end it is my decision. I ask you to support it. My concern is for all students and we need to send a message that we care about the common good.”

Before today’s meeting, ASB, had already planned a series of compromises to create a common ground between the current limo policy and the proposed limo policy, according to junior ASB spirit commissioner Olivia Diamond.

During the meeting, Diamond explained that between 400 and 500 juniors and seniors have signed a petition, created by ASB, stating that students should have the “choice of having the option to choose between a limo and a bus to this year’s prom.”

In addition, Diamond said that one of the alternatives proposed by ASB is to use mini-charter buses that would fit 26 students, as opposed to normal charter buses that would fit approximately 55 students. According to the current limo company Paly is working with, Mosaic Global Transportation, mini-charter buses will cost only $5 more per bus than charter buses.

Diamond stated that mini-charter buses will be able to drop students off individually at their houses as opposed to charter buses, which will require students to arrive at Paly before prom and to arrange individual transportation methods after prom.

Another proposal by ASB, according to Diamond, was the use of a larger scholarship fund for students who may not be able to afford fees for prom.

However, Diamond stated that all the compromises were either noted or simply ignored by the administration, as the details regarding the new policy have not been created yet. Diamond also said that McEvoy does not know the logistics of how this new policy is going to be carried out.

In the past, ASB has scheduled and planned all the transportation details for prom. With the administration involved this year, the responsibility will now be transferred.

“Scheduling is not our concern anymore,” Diamond said, “unless McEvoy makes changes to her decision.”

According to McEvoy, the only way to change this new policy is though the voices of parents, as this issue was brought up by parent concerns in the first place.

“We will get as many parents to speak up for us,” Diamond said. “Otherwise, there is really not much we can do.”

Students have already raised serious concerns on the new policy. According to Diamond, proposals of boycotts have already started to spread among students.

“We [ASB] have already worked really hard and spent a lot of money on prom already,” Diamond said, “It sucks that one decision is going to ruin everyone’s night.”

McEvoy released a statement, concerning the limo situation, to all Paly parents. It can be viewed here: Principal McEvoy releases letter to parents regarding new prom limousine policy.