Science Olympiad Team to hold California Pizza Kitchen fundraiser

Paly’s Science Olympiad Club will hold a fundraiser at California Pizza Kitchen in downtown Palo Alto from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Jan. 19.

Fundraiser attendees must print out the flyer (available here), and 20 percent of the proceeds will go to the club, according to the flyer.

“We’d like to raise at least $100,” senior co-president Sasha Targ said. “The money will go towards registration fees and engineering costs.”

The Science Olympiad Club, consisting of approximately 30 members, also held a car wash in October 2008 and raised $200, Targ said.

According to junior co-president Erika Ji, members of Paly’s SciOly Club will be competing in the Regional Science Bowl competition on Saturday, Feb. 28. The team will also participate in the Regional Science Olympiad competition at Foothill High School on Saturday, March 14, Ji said. If the team qualifies, it will move on to state and potentially national competitions.

Last year, the team placed second in the Regional Science Olympiad competition, as well as in the state competition, according to Targ.

“We lost seven seniors last year, and there are lots of new [members],” Targ said. “In the past years, we’ve made states, and hopefully we will this year also.”

California Pizza Kitchen is located at 531 Cowper St., Palo Alto, Calif.