Paly Theater to hold auditions for 'Fiddler on the Roof'

The Paly theater program will hold after-school auditions on Monday through Thursday, Jan. 5-8, for its upcoming production of “Fiddler on the Roof,” which will be performed in April.

According to theater director Kathleen Woods, auditions for the play consist of vocal, dance, and acting components during the first three days, followed by a callback session on the final day of auditions. In small groups, participating students will prepare and perform short sections of musical pieces, parts of dance routines, and some scene readings with assigned roles.

According to Woods, participating students should come prepared to use their skills in all areas, as “Fiddler on the Roof” is a musical play with a profound plot.

“In the auditions, [vocal director] Mr. [Michael] Najar and I will be looking for students with strong singing, acting and dancing talents,” Woods said. “The character relationships are extremely important to the believability of the story, so we will also look for actors who have good chemistry.”

However, students interested in auditioning should also attend regardless of previous theater experience, according to Woods.

“We are looking for a large cast, and there are many speaking roles in the play,” Woods said. “Auditions are open to anyone, [and] I always appreciate students who are willing to give their all to the process, no matter what size part they have.”