Soundslides: Invisible Children club holds car wash fundraiser

The following is a complete transcription of the above soundslides.

Helena Raffel: Hi, I’m Helena Raffel and you’re listening to another episode of VoiceWaves.

Music: (Lighter Fluid)

HR: Members of the Invisible Children club are relatively pleased with the turn-out of their first fundraiser of the year, a car wash, which took place on Dec. 7.

We are here with club president, Kavitha Subramanian. Can you explain what Invisible children does?

KS: Invisible children is a global organization that basically sends money to Uganda, mainly, obviously to help children. Three filmmakers went there a couple years ago and they filmed a bunch of kids during insurgencies. They were holding rifles, they were child soldiers, there was a lot of violence and stuff. They came back with the documentary and it was a huge hit. This charity was formed by those 3 filmmakers, 3 guys.

Now, they have a sub-program called schools for schools and the entire thing is nonprofit. Schools for schools is a program where they just encourage high schools students to donate money, just raise it in different means, however, and donate it to Schools for Schools. It basically builds schools, dormitories, hires teachers, gets equipment, whatever else.

The first phase of the plan was to have 10 schools and they’re building it and they’re pretty much all done with them. They’re doing it again and again.

They also have scholarships that they fund. They send some high school students, whoever raises the most money and sends it to them by a certain deadline, that high school, the club members at that high school get to go to Uganda.

HR: How has the turn-out been so far?

KS: There was like a big church crowd and they were interested in it so we handed out some fliers, brochures. It was a little bit better than we expected from a couple hours ago.

end interview

HR: The car wash raised 120 dollars. Patrons decided the size of their donations.

The club hopes to hold a carnival fundraiser late this school year.

Thank you for listening. Tune in next time for another episode of VoiceWaves