Paly choir to hold weekend Madrigal Tea and Dinner

Paly’s choir program aims to spread holiday cheer over the weekend by hosting its fifth annual Madrigal Dinner on Saturday and Sunday, as well as a Madrigal Tea on Friday.

The Madrigal Dinner recreates the festivities of King Henry VIII’s court with vocal performances of traditional holiday songs and full-costume student reenactments that continue throughout the course of the event.

Through the acting and music provided by all of Paly’s choir divisions, guests enjoy becoming part of a day in history with a meal, holiday decorations, and an overall atmosphere reminiscent of the 16th century.

According to choir member senior Christian Guerrero, the event was introduced in 2004 and has developed into a unique, large-scale project that both choir members and guests look forward to attending each year.

“From my experience, last year, it was crazy fun,” Guerrero said. “It’s really a different experience for the audience since it’s not just a regular old concert or recital. You get immersed in it, since all the students are dressed up in Renaissance attire.”

Guerrero encourages students to attend and enjoy the experience,
as the Madrigal Dinner features a wide variety of family-friendly entertainment.

“I’ve never been to any kind of event like this before I came [to Paly],” Guerrero said. “Everyone in the choir program is performing … beginning choir, concert choir, Spectrum singers, and Madrigal singers. People have told me that they really enjoy it, especially because of the costumes and how they sometimes get to interact with the students while they’re in character.”

In addition to seeing memorable performances, all who attend this weekend’s Madrigal events contribute to the Paly choir program, according to junior choir member Sagarika Ravishankar.

“[The Madrigal Dinner] is a method of fundraising for the choir,” Ravishankar said. “It’s how we get new music and supplies.”

The Madrigal Tea, which will be at 4 p.m. on Friday, is a new option that closely resembles the usual Madrigal Dinner, but leaves out the full meal — a reasonable choice for students, according to Guerrero.

“A few things were changed,” Guerrero said, “but nothing significant was removed. Just a few shortened skits to save some time, and it’s great for students too because it’s way cheaper.”

Seats for Friday tea are $12 for students. Ticket prices vary according to seating location, and seating will begin half an hour before the opening of each event.

St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, located at 600 Colorado Ave., will house all three weekend events.

More information about the Madrigal Dinner on Dec. 13 and 14 is available on
the choir Web site, and tickets for both Dinner and Tea can be purchased through an online order form.