Change We Can Believe In: The New Facebook

There are so many reasons why the new Facebook is better than the old one, despite the millions of people demanding a return of the old. To convince those of you who are still not ready for the inevitable, glorious wave of change, I have compiled a list of my personal nerdgasms about the new Facebook.

Nerdgasm #1 – Removal of Profile Clutter

You know you hate it when your friend (or YOU) have 800 applications installed and they eat up your profile. Even then, the stacks and stacks of minimized applications made getting to the only thing you care about – the Wall – an uphill battle. The new Facebook has fixed this problem and now the Wall is right there for you.

Nerdgasm #2 – Less page reloading

AJAX is a programming-thing that makes it so that the user doesn’t have to reload the page every time they click something. AJAX is best demonstrated with Facebook’s chat feature – you do not see the page reload every time you send a message or one comes in. More things about the new Facebook have AJAX built in, so that you don’t need to reload the page every time you scroll through people’s photos.

Nerdgasm #3 – Tabs!

As a human being using technology, I love tabs. They prevent me from having to see information I don’t want to see. If I want to see someone’s Wall, I can see their Wall. I don’t want to have to see all of their photos, their Information, their Jetman, etc. This also applies to the News Feed. Before, there were separate pages for each of the tabs. These pages all did relatively the same thing but did them on pretty different pages. Tabs have cleaned them up considerably.

Nerdgasm #4 – Status Updates on News Feed

The News Feed’s Status Updates tab (see above) is one of my many News-Feed-related nerdgasms. Twitter (http://www.twitter.com) is a Web site that is 100 per cent status updates, but a bit more customizable and better. This new Facebook looks just like Twitter and more people use it. And status updates used to be hard to get to, but now they’re easy to reach.

Nerdgasm #5 – Live Feed

My second News Feed-gasm springs from the Live Feed. Many people ,myself included, joke that Facebook is the ultimate tool for a stalker. The Live Feed is true to that message, but is scaled to stalk everyone you know, and then some.

Nerdgasm #6 – More/Less About Something/Someone on News Feed

As a better reincarnation of an old feature briefly run on Facebook, the News Feed’s ability to see more or less about a person, or more or less about a type of story, with just two clicks. It is pathetic, the sweeping effect this little feature has on me.

Nerdgasm #7 – Removal of the Almost-Useless Sidebar

The left sidebar on the old Facebook showed your applications and that was it. This was a horrible choice. If it also did something else (like Chat), okay. But now the chat bar on the bottom combines Chat with applications, and the bar on the top does everything else. The removal of this fairly inefficient sidebar helps the entire world because it leaves more horizontal space for the things you want.

Nerdgasm #8 – It … It’s Beautiful

Even with its reduced clutter, and almost-cheatingly cool tabs, and the sleekness of Live Feed, and AJAX … the new Facebook is so beautiful. Everything is divided, with cleverly shaded lines and boxes and tabs. And links and flashiness on everything. And everybody hated the little notch on the top-right of the old page. Everyone noticed this, right?

Nerdgasm #9 – Wall: Improving Stalking

When I hear some nasty rumor about somebody I know, I used to attack both their Wall and their Mini-Feed to find out that it was actually true, and they have cheated on their significant other. The new Wall combines the old Wall and the mini-feed, which that helps me to find out what shady activity this person has been doing.

Nerdgasm #10 – Photos Killing, like, 8 Birds with 1 Stone

If I clicked “View Photos of [your name here]” (in order to stalk), I would see photos of you that you added, and photos of you that other people added. I never understood why this was. Why would you care who uploaded it? The new Photos solves this problem, and adds the person’s photo albums, so you can see everything photo-related about a person. Stalk it up!

All of these things combine to tell me one thing:

THE NEW FACEBOOK IS AWESOME. DO NOT FIGHT IT.