Paly PTSA to hold Turkey Trot feast

The Palo Alto Parent Teacher Student Association will host Paly’s fourth annual Turkey Trot feast during an extended lunch on Friday in the quad.

At the event, students will be able to purchase a turkey lunch from a Thanksgiving buffet. The proceeds earned will go towards the Ecumenical Hunger Program and Urban Ministries, according to Turkey Trot co-chair Mego Tracy.

“We live in a very supportive community,” Turkey Trot co-chair Anne Stewart said. “We think it is important to be thankful for this support and raise the awareness of giving back to our community too. The lunch gives us a time to reflect on how lucky we are here at Paly.”

According to Tracy, the PTSA will donate approximately $1,000 as well as five bins of canned goods to the EHP. The extra food remaining at the end of the meal will be donated to Urban Ministries to add to its evening meal. The PTSA’s donation to EHP helps families, Stewart said.

Although the event initially began at Gunn High School, Palo Alto Board of Education member Camille Townsend brought the event to Paly in 2005, with the help of department Secretary Mary Ellen Bena.

“The event is a community effort,” Stewart said. “We have support and help from the administration, teachers, custodians, staff, students and parents. We could not do this event without help.”

The food provided at the event will be donated by Paly parents or purchased at nearby restaurants at discounted prices, according to Tracy.

“The baked potatoes and pies are homemade from parents,” Tracy said. “We buy the stuffing and gravy from Marie Calendar’s, the rolls from Costco bakery and the salad comes from Piazza’s.”

In addition, the turkeys will be prepared by parents and the nearby deli and grocery JJ&F Market, according to Stewart.

This year, the PTSA expects more students to attend the event and buy turkey lunches, according to Tracy.

“What could be better than students eating a Thanksgiving dinner together in the quad, listening to the Paly band and giving back to their community?” Tracy said.

Each class period will be shortened by five minutes to accommodate the extended 90-minute lunch period. At the event, students can purchase lunch with $1 and three cans or containers of non-perishable food, or $4 without cans. ASB will also sell drinks for $1 each.