Library fundraiser to take place at Books Inc.

Books Inc. is hosting a fundraiser for Paly’s library from 5-8 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 14.

Twenty percent of all purchases made during the three-hour period will be used to purchase new books for the library, according to Paly librarian Rachel Kellerman.

“We take the money in a gift card which is good because then we spend the money there [at Books Inc.],” Kellerman said.

Gunn High School had a similar fundraiser last Tuesday and raised more than $700, according to Kellerman.

Kellerman said that the Paly library has the oldest book collection in the district with an average copyright date of 1985. She added that the collection has only 10 books per student, a number much lower then the national average of books per student, which is 22.

Last year, Kellerman organized a similar fundraiser and raised approximately $500 for the same cause.

Kellerman anticipates that this type of fundraiser will be very successful.

“The money on the card from the last fundraiser has just about run out, so it’s really good timing,” Kellerman said. “I think that this fundraiser will help out a lot. The money will be put to good use.”

Paly theater students who plan on attending the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in Scotland during August will be performing outside of Books Inc. during the fundraiser, according to Kellerman.

Kellerman said that she will donate $200 towards supporting these students in their efforts to raise enough money to attend the theater festival.

“They had to be accepted [to the festival],” Kellerman said, “so it’s a really big deal.”

Also, CDs from Paly’s choir group the Madrigals will be on sale for $5 at the Books Inc. fundraiser.