Skillfully performed 'On the Razzle' brings non-stop fun

Paly theatre’s latest production, Tom Stoppard’s romantic comedy “On the Razzle,” is a surprisingly bold blend of student talent coupled with a clever script to make a romance that is as charming as it is eccentric.

The plot unfolds in mid-19th century Austria, tracing the hilarious mishaps of a forbidden love affair and the illicit adventures of two young men in search of a night of fun in Vienna.

Senior Marc LeClerc plays Herr Zangler, a wealthy and slightly paranoid shop owner determined to end the relationship between his sheltered niece Marie, played by sophomore Rachel Mewes, and young August Sonders, played by junior Nathan Wilen. Marie and Sonders plan to escape to Vienna, but are unaware that Zangler is also preparing to visit the city to persuade Madame Knorr, played by senior Grace Morrison, to marry him.

Adding to the potential for catastrophe are Zangler’s two scatterbrained clerks, Weinberl, played by senior Ian Quigley, and Christopher, played by senior Tom Marks, who are instructed to mind the shop in Zangler’s absence and instead steal away to Vienna for some longed-for freedom and excitement.

Senior Alex Nee complicates awkward situations with the part of Melchior, Zangler’s smiling and impertinent new assistant, whose lively wit and knack for sexual puns helps laughter pop up at unanticipated moments.

Opportunities for romance, racy humor and amusing wordplay abound as Weinberl and Christopher fib to avoid discovery, pretend to be wealthy gentlemen though they are in reality penniless, and find themselves treating Madame Knorr and her sophisticated friend Frau Fischer, played by senior Tess Bellomo, to dinner at the Imperial Gardens cafe. The coincidental appearance of the other main characters at the cafe leads to an entertaining scramble of mistaken identities.

A long list of characters makes the plot a little hard to follow, and some of the phrases used are suggestive references which are mainly meant for adult audiences. But the complexity of the dialogue and story is brilliantly executed by the actors and never actually gets in the way of the humor. Comically exaggerated movements, accents, and personalities lend all of the characters a pleasantly cartoonish quality, and the sounds, sets, and costumes are excellently designed.

Toss in some Italian waiters, a brass band, a highly peculiar coachman, a French maid, and a smiling German couple with a delight in saying “danke” and “bitte,” and the result is a bizarre, chaotic, and ultimately satisfying piece with a small surprise near the end.

“On the Razzle,” adapted from “Einen Fux will er sich machen” by Johann Nestroy, has often been compared to the musical “Hello Dolly” and has a run time of about two hours.

The play opened Nov. 13 and will show on Nov. 14, 20, 21, and 22 at 7:30 p.m. in the Haymarket Theatre. Tickets are on sale from the auditor and ASB online store, in Kathleen Woods’ office in the theatre, or at the door: $8 for students and seniors and $10 for adults.