"On the Razzle" premieres on Thursday

Paly’s fall play, “On the Razzle,” by Tom Stoppard opens at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 13, in the Haymarket Theater.

“On the Razzle,” a romantic and comedic tale, takes place in the 1850s. It is the story of two young men, Weinberl and Christopher, who decide to go to Vienna with the intention of kissing a girl while their boss, Zangler, is away. Once in Vienna, they have to avoid Zangler, who has also gone to Vienna in hopes of marrying Madame Knorr. Many incidents of switched identities and malapropisms ensue. “On the Razzle” is based on the same story as “The Matchmaker” and “Hello Dolly.”

According to senior Tom Marks, who plays Christopher in the play, the characters do not speak in present-day English vernacular.

“It’s not completely far from now, but there’s references from that time period,” Marks said.

Director and theater teacher Kathleen Woods has always been interested in directing the play; she became inspired to do so after seeing a production of it at the Ashland Oregon Shakespeare Festival.

“Fabulous,” Woods said, commenting on the Festival’s production. “I really do have to do the show…[because] this year we have the talent to do that.”

Many students were involved in design aspects of the production. Senior Kimi Forlenza designed the costumes for the show, and junior Hannah Crown did hair and make-up design for the production. Sound and set design are among other areas that students handled, according to the Paly Theater Web site.

Additional performances of “On the Razzle” are at 7:30 p.m. on Nov. 14 and Nov. 20-22 in the Haymarket Theater. A performance of “On the Razzle” was scheduled for Nov. 15, but that performance was moved to Nov. 13 due to a USC–Stanford football game, according to Woods.

Tickets are $8 for students and seniors and $10 for adults. They can be purchased in the auditor’s office, the ASB Web Store, or Woods’ office which is located in the Haymarket Theater. Tickets may also be purchased at the door of the theater beginning at 6:30 p.m. on show days.

“It’s coming together well and it’s going to be great,” said senior Kelsey Swezey, who plays Mrs. Blumenblatt in the play.