Academic Resource Center enforces new hours

Paly’s Academic Resource Center began a new schedule on Wednesday, Oct. 29.

The ARC now opens at 7:30 a.m. on block days but still will follow its original schedule during the rest of the week, opening at at 8:30 a.m. on unblocked days. This extra time will be reserved for people taking tests only, according to Paula Harvey, ARC co-coordinator.

Harvey says this schedule change will give students who must take longer tests more time slots during which to take them.

“After school, kids often have to wait to take a test, so they may not have time to finish,” Harvey said.

Junior Spencer Brock says that students will not come to the ARC in the morning because it will be too difficult for them to wake up.

On the other hand, some students prefer taking their tests in the morning.

“I would rather take my tests before school,” senior Alexa Hammer said. “That way, I can get them over with and don’t have to worry about them all day.”

According to Hammer, the extra time provided in the ARC may be helpful because students may not want to spend their lunches taking tests and may be also busy with extracurricular activities after school.

Sophomore DJ Fotsch agrees with Hammer.

“If I make up a test after school, I have to miss water polo practice,” Fotsch said. “It will be nice to take tests in the morning instead.”

Noel Beitler, the ARC co-coordinator, says another advantage of the ARC’s new hours is that students may have an easier time concentrating in the morning.

“We want them to come when they’re fresh and rested,” Beitler said.