Maintenance mishap causes false fire alarm

The first unplanned fire alarm of the school year went off due to a maintenance mishap in a work room in the 300 building at 9:36 a.m. today.

According to Principal Jacqueline McEvoy, a maintenance member was working on the fire alarm system in the 300 building when he accidentally tripped the alarm.

“They work on it [the fire alarm system] a lot,” McEvoy said. “Since it’s an old system, sometimes things happen to it.”

McEvoy additionally stated that the fire alarm only went off in some of the buildings; the gym, library, science building, and portables all failed to hear the alarm.

“It’s so disorganized and you can’t find your teacher,” senior Mira Parekh said. “It makes me wonder what will happen if there is ever a real fire.”

According to the administration, the school has three separate fire alarm systems, one in the Tower Building, one in the gym, and one in the 300 building.

“We don’t know why it’s different,” McEvoy said. “The school has three separate alarms, and they each go off independently of each other and contact different fire stations.”

According to McEvoy, the administration currently holds monthly fire drills to prepare students and staff for emergency situations, and this fire alarm will count as the drill for November. In addition, bond money will be used to upgrade the fire alarm system within the next few years, McEvoy said.