Student Diversity Coalition to host final day of Not In Our School week

This year’s Not In Our School week will end with an extended lunch full of good food, entertainment, and a reaffirmation of the event’s central theme of acceptance and kindness.

The food will come in the form of the Mix-It-Up Barbecue, organized by the Student Diversity Coalition. Students are encouraged to eat with a different group of people than they normally do, according to senior Alex Coblin, who helped organize the week’s festivities.

The San Jose State University-based dance group Grupo Folklorico Luna y Sol will perform on the quad during lunch, and students who made NIOS shirts on Tuesday are encouraged to wear those shirts on Friday, Coblin said.

According to Coblin, the goal of NIOS week is to make Paly students think.

“I hope that this week gave Paly students a chance to think about the way that they treat others and how these actions are perceived,” Coblin said. “Hopefully with time, people will learn not to act in hateful ways but rather be kind to others.”

Coblin also noted the effort that went into organizing and funding all of the week’s events.

“We have held multiple fundraisers, such as car-washes and Paly restaurant nights,” Coblin said. “We also contacted the businesses in Town and Country and asked for their support. Overall, this really has been a community-wide effort.”

Classes will be five minutes shorter, in order to accommodate the 70-minute lunch.