Paly Glass Team holds annual glass pumpkin sale

The fourth Annual Paly Glass Pumpkin Sale will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 22, in the courtyard in front of the Tower Building.

The Paly glass team, which consists of Paly students, alumni, and professional glassblowers, made all the pumpkins that will be sold, according to Paly art teacher David Camner.

The pumpkins will be priced between $50 and $180 according to Camner.

According to Camner, the sale provides much needed financial support for the Paly “fiery arts” program.

“A hundred percent of the proceeds go right into the department,” Camner said. “It is an expensive program; funding is important.”

The costliness of raw glass, colored frit, maintenance of glass blowing equipment, and glass blowing tools all make glass blowing an expensive program according to Camner.

All of the Paly glass team members volunteer their time to design and make pumpkins for the Glass Pumpkin Sale. Members of the Paly glass team include juniors Bobby Abbott and Chris Llewellyn; seniors Jeremy Kim, Tim Wenzlau, and Jack Gale; alumni Peter Stucky, Gregor Horstmeyer, and Paul Reamey; professionals David Camner, Helen Lee, Anthony Alfaro, and Mike Roff.

Camner describes the Paly glass team as a group that shows great cooperation.

“When we made them [pumpkins] over the summer, the teamwork was remarkable,” Camner said. “It was rewarding to see.”

Camner finds that the happiness of the pumpkin sale customers conpensates for the hard work that goes into creating the pumpkins.

“My favorite part is seeing the light on people’s faces when they find a special pumpkin,” Camner said. “Some people collect them. Seeing the delight on those people’s faces is really rewarding.”