Class of 2008 moves towards the future

As the 417 seniors from Palo Alto High School’s class of 2008 filed by family, friends, and fellow students to the tune of “Pomp and Circumstance,” all were taking their final steps as Paly students.

Four members of the Paly choir, seniors Antonia Blumberg, Kate Fruchterman, Keerthi Naidu, and Elizabeth Nitzan, initiated the celebration with an awe-inspiring rendition of “The Star Spangled Banner.”

At the end of the national anthem, two-year ASB President Mohammed Abid gave a speech titled “A Rousing Goodbye.” In the speech, Abid made a comedic metaphor out of the college application process as the process of finding his significant other. Abid also went on to congratulate his fellow graduates, wish them luck in their future endeavors, and commended them on their numerous accomplishments. Some of these accomplishments included surviving four years at Paly, winning a CCS football championship, and making it to states in mock trial.

While Abid talked about the achievements and honors that Paly students had brought to the school, his fellow graduating classmates also saw what Paly had provided for them in return.

“Paly really taught me a lot in my four years,” graduating senior Geng Wang said. “The higher standards that we strived to achieve here will surely help my life in the future.”

Following Abid was fellow graduating senior Mary Neama Latu, who gave the first commencement address. The speech recounted past experiences at Paly, gave thanks to the Paly teachers, and wished goodwill upon her classmates’ futures.

Next, Naidu returned to the stage and sang “Dreams to Dream.” Despite nerves and a bumpy start due to a microphone malfunction, Naidu wowed the crowd with her vocal talent.

“I was incredibly nervous and wasn’t feeling too well in the morning,” Naidu said. “It was an incredible moment and I’m so glad I did it, especially since it was my first time singing in front of more than 20 people.”

After Naidu’s song, senior Andrew Nizamian, a member of the award-winning mock trial team, gave a second humorous commencement address titled “How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.”

Those in the audience liked Nizamian’s speech, and were also emboldened by the graduating seniors’ overall appearances.

“The seniors looked very inspirational in their caps and gowns and it reminded me what I am striving to become,” sophomore Lauren Mah said. “I really enjoyed Andrew [Nizamian]’s speech.”

After Nizamian’s speech, senior class president Sahar Raz announced that the class of 2008 would donate $1,400 towards a new sound system for Paly’s athletic facilities. Following a raucous applause from the crowd, Principal Jacqueline McEvoy took the stand and commended the class of 2008 on its successes. Student activities director Allison Mullins presented the highly esteemed Viking Award to Abid for the significant impact he had on the Paly community during his two years on ASB.

With the conclusion of speeches and Board of Education President Dana Tom’s acceptance of the class of 2008, Dr. Marilyn Cook, Bob Golton, Melissa Baten-Caswell, and Barbara Klausner presented the seniors their diplomas. To conclude the ceremony, the senior class of 2008 cast off their hats and cheered.

Some attendees thought the graduation ceremony’s format was disorderly, but claimed the joy of the occasion more than made up for it.

“I think that the ceremony was a little unorganized,” graduating senior Bubba Paguirian said. “But the families, friends, and rest of the audience’s enthusiasm drowned out any flaws.”

And although the seniors had highly anticipated graduation, after the ceremony, many became nostalgic about their memorable four years at Paly.

“I’m definitely going to miss Paly,” Paguirian said. “It’s going to be very hard not seeing my classmates everyday.”

For more information on where the seniors of ’08 are headed, click on this link to see the college map.