A longshot for Puddle of Mudd's latest

Puddle of Mudd’s new single “We Don’t Have to Look Back Now”, along with the bands latest album, “Famous”, were created in hopes of reviving the band to its former glory.

After a poor showing from “Life On Display” in 2003, the band is looking to recreate the success they saw in 2001 after the release of hit songs “She Hates Me” and “Blurry” and their most successful album, “Come Clean”. “Come Clean” was successful in selling over 5 million copies and making a name for the four Missourians by reaching #5 and #13 on the Billboard Hot 100 with their two top songs.

After a four year hiatus, the band hopes “Famous” will splash Puddle of Mudd back onto the scene. The album has already had two singles “Famous” and “Psycho” at the top of the U.S. Main Rock charts. “Famous” was the first single and looked to pave the way for the album while also gaining notoriety as the theme song for WWE’s “One Night Stand.” Several of the band’s past events have been featured with the WWE.

The bands latest “We Don’t Have to Look Back Now” has the potential to bring back some of the old success of the band; however it also may fall into the category of every other mediocre song that is on the radio already. The song is bland and is suspect of mundane lyrics that are skin deep. It lacks individuality and their usual passion. It almost seems to impersonate the wavering moods found in Nickleback songs. It lacks the authority to be placed inside the WWE arena and yet does not have the originality, the tone nor the lyrics, to repeat the success of “She Hates Me” or “Blurry”. The latest single may just be too generic to be anything special.

As the song doesn’t really go the extra mile, its only chance to hit the charts is to hope that mushy lyrics can be overplayed enough to catch on and carry the song.

However as Puddle of Mudd songs are best known for their appearance on “one-hit-wonder” and “best songs of 2001” playlists, the chances of this song making it on the big stage seem a long shot.

The band will attempt to rouse international support as it embarks on a tour that starts May 28 in Tokyo and includes stops in Australia, Iraq and Kuwait.