Spot plans to leave Town and Country, Rojoz still deciding

Spot: A Pizza Place, the pizzeria popular with Paly students will leave its Town and Country location next year for a less expensive site on University Avenue. Another Paly hangout, Rojoz Gourmet Wraps, has not made plans to leave, despite rumors to the contrary.

“The rent and fees are just too high,” Spot general manager Vu Tran said. “They [Town and Country] are charging us for things like advertising.”

According to Tran, Spot will lose its lease this summer. Plans to move will be in place by July 1.

Rojoz, however, has neither confirmed nor denied plans of moving.

“Our lease ended a year ago,” said an employee at Rojoz who wishes to remain anonymous. “There are no plans to move or stay yet. We’re waiting for the construction to finish before we finalize anything.”

Many Paly students who frequent these locations at lunchtime are upset about the moves. Sophomore Emily Kenyon, who eats lunch at either Spot or Rojoz a few times a month, thinks the companies will lose business if they move.

“I think it’s a bad call on [Spot’s] part. They get so much business from Paly, so if they move they’ll be losing their income,” Kenyon said. “I also know a lot of people who go to Rojoz daily. It would be annoying for everyone to find a new place to eat.”

Sophomore Wyatt Shaw agrees, stating that Spot’s success stems from its location.

“Spot makes a lot of money from Paly,” Shaw said. “We go there because it’s convenient, and I don’t think they [Spot] are going to do very well downtown.”

According to a November 2006 Campanile article, Spot receives about 35 to 40 percent of its business from Paly students.

Tran said that other food services are looking into acquiring Spot’s location in order to get a foothold in Town and Country.

“So far, other restaurants have come in,” Tran said. “Another pizza place was thinking about buying somewhere in Town and Country, but not in this exact location.”

According to Kenyon, Paly students will nevertheless adjust to the changes at Town and Country in the coming years.

“There will still be good places left to eat,” Kenyon said. “But if Spot and Rojoz left, we would lose two really busy lunch spots. Everywhere will be more crowded or students will just stop going across the street [to Town and Country].”