AP Music Theory class to host student concert

The AP Music Theory class will showcase students’ musical compositions in their annual end-of-the-year concert at 7 p.m. on Tuesday in the Paly band room.

According to choir director Michael Najar, only original compositions will be performed at the concert. Over 40 students will participate in the event, which will feature an array of instruments and styles. The students began preparing for the concert four weeks ago, and are looking forward to displaying their work.

“Writing the compositions brought me closer to fellow students since we worked on my original composition together,” junior AP Music Theory student Sai Boddupalli said.

The students were involved in every aspect of preparing their compositions, from deciding the music genre to harmonizing the piece.

“The hardest part of writing the piece was making the beat of the music so that I could write lyrics to it and people could sing to it,” junior AP Music Theory student Jessie Kuo said.

One requirement is that the composer cannot perform his or her own piece at the concert. Instead, each student is responsible for giving the score to a musician, who will then perform the piece at the concert. Also, the composer is not allowed to give the musician any instruction on the night of the concert. According to Kuo, this can prove to be a trying task for the musicians, since many of the students incorporate lyrics in addition to the instrumentals in their piece.

“I really liked this project,” Kuo said. “Even though it was a lot of hard work, I’m sure the final result will be worth the extra effort. I think it will be a really fun and interesting experience”

Admission is free, and the concert should last about an hour and a half.