McEvoy speaks on bell schedule dilemma

Principal Jacqueline McEvoy, in a Tuesday afternoon press conference, clarified her reasons behind her decisions to keep the current schedule for next year in lieu of her recent bell schedule decision along with general discontent for the process used to commission a new schedule.

Talking to members of Paly journalism publications, McEvoy cited her belief that the school should further study the issue, hoping a compromise can be reached that will best suit the school for the next few years.

“The big question is how does our bell schedule and our calendar enhance student learning?” McEvoy said.

Criticism of the schedule decision has come from students who feel disenfranchised in the whole decision process. McEvoy was forced to make what she calls an “executive decision” on the matter since no formal decision making system at Paly.

“In most high schools you have a rep[resentative] system,” McEvoy said. “We don’t really have a mechanism in place this year.”

McEvoy hopes to implement a system in which classes during a certain period send a student to meetings to vote on issues and keep students informed. Before its creation, the overall purpose and function of the system needs to be decided on, according to McEvoy.

“I think that the student voice needs to be heard and taken into consideration,” McEvoy said. “But in the end the adults will make the decision.”

McEvoy stressed the need for students to voice their input, yet made it clear that students will not be responsible for deciding on a new schedule. A survey was given to students on the issue of next year’s schedule, but McEvoy feels that students didn’t understand exactly what they were being asked or what the information would be used for. McEvoy cited that student’s opinions will not override the opinions of the staff and administration on campus.

This assertion caused concern for some of those in attendance. Several students asked questions concerning why they should not be given the ability to make decisions concerning their education, especially when the focus on sleep deprivation concerns students. One reporter claimed it was a issue of respect for students.

“For teenagers, you are still formulating decisions,” McEvoy said. “If the majority of teenagers were making good decisions, which I think they are, then we would all be on the same page.”

McEvoy also points to experience in school decisions.

“I think the faculty and the staff do listen to students,” McEvoy said. “But you’re [students] only here for four years, as opposed to a teacher who is here for 30 years.”

McEvoy made the argument that 4 years may be a quarter of a students’ life, but it is only a small fraction of a teacher or administrators lifetime.

According to McEvoy, in a recent staff survey, over 90% of the staff wanted a consistent year round schedule as opposed to the current schedule which differs by semester. With that issue resolved, the focus fell on pushing back the start time and blocking 7th period.

Unfortunately, in a staff vote on the schedule, only 80 of the 124 staff members participated in the vote. The results of the vote came extremely close to garnering the two thirds majority needed to implement a new schedule.

“I don’t put any value judgement on why people don’t vote or are silent in a discussion, each teacher has their own reason,” McEvoy said. “You can’t make assumptions as to why people didn’t vote.”

McEvoy said she does not believe mandating all the staff to vote is part of a democracy, but admits it would have been preferable if teachers had more time to cast their ballots.

McEvoy also volunteered what she believes would be a preferable bell schedule.

“I think 7:50 is too early,” McEvoy said. “I really do think that when you push the start past 8:00 it’s good for everyone.”

McEvoy claims to not have a solid preference on the issue of blocking, including blocking 7th period. Although a later start is proposed in order to give students more time to sleep, McEvoy believes that the school is only partly responsible for students’ sleep patterns.

“We might be able to provide some help,” McEvoy said. “But if we start at 8:15 you won’t convince me that students won’t stay up later.”

According to McEvoy, the responsibility for healthy sleep habits falls on the students and their families. She claims the school can help but it can only do so much, as opposed to the impact individual families can have.

McEvoy also said that breathalyzers will be used at the last dance of the year and that Assistant Principal Chuck Merritt will leave Paly to take a job as principal of El Carmelo.