Teacher Appreciation Week to be celebrated early

We see them five times a week. They stand in front of 30 rambunctious teenagers for several hours each day, repeating themselves over and over until their message is conveyed to their restless audience. While this might seem like the task only a superhero could handle, they are our teachers.

Paly will be celebrating Teacher Appreciation Week from April 28 to May 2, one week earlier than the national week to celebrate. PTSA President Preeva Tramiel explains the school will be celebrating earlier due to Advanced Placement testing, which falls on the national Teacher Appreciation Week.

According to the National Education Association, while Teacher Appreciation is celebrated all week, there is an official National Teacher Day in which “thousands of communities will take time out to honor their local educators and acknowledge the contributions they make to our lives.” This year, National Teacher Day will be Tuesday, May 6.

According to the PTA website, www.barnesandnoble.com offers discounts to PTA members on items they can present to teachers as gifts to celebrate the week. The PTA recommends a number of ways for students to observe Teacher Appreciation week that include sending thank you notes or gifts to their teachers, asking parents to donate classroom materials, presenting teachers with certificates of gratitude, or making a donation to a library or educational foundation in their honor.

According to Tramiel, teachers will receive special treats in their boxes for each day of Teacher Appreciation Week. On Friday, the PTSA will prepare a lunch for all the teachers at Paly.

While Teacher Appreciation Week is a nationally celebrated occasion, students seem somewhat unaware or “ambivalent” about the week, according to Tramiel.

“The teachers absolutely expect to be acknowledged, and deserve it,” Tramiel said. “Teaching is a hard job, and the citizenry should acknowledge that.”