Not in Our School to host Chevy's fundraiser

The Not in Our School Week coalition will host an all day fundraiser at Chevy’s on Tuesday in preparation for Not in Our School Week.

“We hope that Paly students will get involved and invite their friends and family to Chevy’s to help us raise money to host Not in Our School Week” said Alex Coblin, Gay-Straight Alliance co-president and Best Buddies treasurer.

Not in Our School week is meant to promote acceptance on the Paly campus and will span from Monday April 14 to Friday April 18. During the week activities and entertainment will take place on the quad and the week will culminate with a barbeque on Friday.

Flyers for Chevy’s are available at the front desk and will be handed out during school on Monday and Tuesday by coalition members. Twenty-five percent of the profits made from customers who have a Paly flyer will be put towards Not in Our School Week.

The Chevy’s fundraiser is one of many to raise money for Not in Our School Week. Last Friday and Saturday, the coalition successfully orchestrated a carwash in the Paly parking lot where it made about $600. Another carwash will be held this Friday, also in the Paly parking lot.

“This year Not in Our School week is going to be the biggest at Paly,” Coblin said. “We are trying to set the bar high for future years. Because of all the events and the barbeque, we will be having during the week, it will cost a lot of money.”

The estimated cost for the entire week is about $4,000 according to Coblin. The coalition is having many fundraisers in the hopes that it will be able to raise sufficient funds by Friday. If the coalition is unable to raise enough money, the $2,500 barbeque on Friday will be the first to go, according to Coblin.

“We hope that Chevy’s night will make the Paly community more involved and we will be able to see the support of the Paly community,” Coblin said.

Not in Our School Week is hosted every year by the Student Diversity Coalition, which consists of a variety of different school clubs. This year Best Buddies, Gay-Straight Alliance, Jewish Student Union, Thespian society, Debate club, and Camp Everytown will host Not in Our School Week with the help of the Paly Associated Student Body.