Paly mock trial holds fundraiser at Chevy's

Paly’s mock trial team is holding a dinner at Chevy’s in Mountain View this Monday to raise funds to go to a state wide competition which takes place in Riverside, Calif from March 28 to 30.

If the diner presents a flier to his or her waiter, then 25 percent of the proceeds from that party will go towards mock trial’s trip to Riverside. Fliers will be handed out on Monday by team members, according to junior defense attorney Yelly Bitton.

The total cost of the trip is estimated to be about $7400. However, the school is paying for chaperones and fronting $1000, so the resulting estimate is around $5500, according to Bitton.

Paly’s mock trial team has overcome many obstacles this year, the most prevalent being the absence of coaches. Also, the team lost many of its members last year, and so was faced with the task of training 11 new members.

“Andrew took 11 kids who knew nothing about mock trial and turned us into a winning team,” Bitton said, referring to senior Andrew Nizamian, defense attorney and mock trial captain.

Bitton encourages everyone to track down a team member to get a flier, and dine at Chevy’s some time on Monday.

“We’ve worked really hard – we’re undefeated,” said Bitton. “It would be great if we could go to state.”

Chevy’s is located at 2116 W El Camino Real, Mountain View and the fundraiser lasts all day Monday, March 17.