Shortened version of the Laramie Project, and Panel discussion

Living Skills classes had the chance to see a shortened version of the Laramie Project, Paly’s Spring play which included a panel discussion hosted by the Gay Straight Alliance on March 5 during fifth period.

The Laramie Project is a collection of interviews regarding the controversial murder of Matthew Shepard, a homosexual resident of Laramie, Wyoming.

“It was very moving even though the incident happened a long time ago,” said living skills teacher Letitia Burton. “It was really important for students to see because we still have a lot of work to do.”

Overall, the Laramie Project has been generally accepted by the Paly community.

“I thought the play was a great idea. For some high schools it would be more controversial than others,” principal Jaqueline McEvoy said. “Overall I was really impressed. All the actors did an outstanding job.”

The play discusses many sensitive subjects such as prejudice and hate against the gay community. Many students were heavily affected by the issues brought about during the play, many of which are still present today.

“It was moving,” senior Zach Peters said. “It really opened my eyes to how hate still exists in a form that makes me sick.”

Laramie is a typical small town in which the residents didn’t think a crime of this magnitude could ever happen. The murder of Matthew Shepard was a huge shock to the town of Laramie. One of the main themes of the play is that an incident like this has the potential to happen anywhere.

“It was very touching,” sophomore Nicole Varveris said. “It was a shame how some people acted, but the people in the town, and the nation dealt with it very well.”

A panel discussion involving two actors from the play, along with McEvoy and counselor Susan Schultz followed the play, where the students discussed some of their personal experiences. During the discussion, the two students discussed some of their personal experiences.

One of the students, senior Alex Rose-Henig, so-president of the GSA said in the discussion, “There is still a lot of hate here in the Paly community.”

The student-actors also discussed events where they faced discrimination on a daily basis because of their sexuality.

“The panel discussion was very beneficial,” said junior Sean Keohane. “I never knew how hard it was for the gay community still today.”

The panel discussion involved the audience members, and students asked questions they had prepared in their Living Skills classes. It allowed students to see the hardships they faced from a first-hand perspective and get a better idea of how things really are.

“You really have to bear your soul,” said McEvoy “Panels are very hard, but they are great because they help everybody get a feel for what is really going on.”

The last presentation of the play will be at 7:30, tomorrow at the Haymarket Theatre. Tickets cost $7 for students and senior citizens, and $10 for adults. Tickets can be purchased in auditor’s office or at the door.