Swing through to Paly's annual Pops Concert and Swing Dance

It’s that time of year again; to grab your dancing shoes and come to Paly’s annual Pops Concert and Swing Dance, held this Friday, March 14 in Paly’s Big Gym.

According to senior and symphonic band member, Jeanna Ko, this concert is hosted by Paly’s Music Department once each year.

To start off the evening, Paly’s Concert Band, Symphonic Band, Orchestra, and Jazz Band will play a few numbers.

“The band and orchestra will be playing some familiar songs that everyone will love,” assistant band director, Darin Ishimatsu said. According to Ishimatsu, this will include music from ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’, some Broadway hits, Motown classics, and more.

The concert will then be followed by dinner, which is included in the price of a ticket. Food offered will be pizza, salad, and drinks. After dinner, the Jazz Band is scheduled to play again, while attendees have the opportunity to swing dance to the music.

“There will be a swing dance instructor to give everyone lessons in all the [swing dance] basics,” Ishimatsu said.

According to Ishimatsu, the Pops Concert will begin at 7 p.m. with dinner and swing dancing beginning around 8 p.m. until “whenever everyone gets tired of swingin’.”

Senior and band member Ramin Barghi explains some of the differences between this event and a typical concert.

“The bands usually play something less classical and more ‘pop-ish’, thus the name ‘pops concert’,” Barghi said. “But the main difference is the swing dance part.”

Ishimatsu has noticed a trend in the growing popularity of the Pops Concert and Swing Dance over the past few years.

“[The event] brings a lot of different segments of the Paly student body,” Ishimatsu said. “There are the music [students] and their families, those who like music, those who are interested in swing dancing, those who like pizza, and those who just like having a good time.”

“I’ve been in band for three years now and [the pops concert] has been an interesting experience each time,” Barghi said.

Tickets are being sold by band and orchestra students throughout the week for $5 per student or $8 per adult. Tickets will be sold at the door for $5 per student and $10 per adult.