Mock trial goes the mile, advances to State finals

Palo Alto High School’s mock trial team will advance to compete in state finals later this month after its seventh win in a row against Prospect High School last Thursday.

According to senior and mock trial attorney, Andrew Nizamian, around 30 teams, one from each county in California, competes in the State finals. Santa Clara County generally features more teams than any other county, several of which are very good, according to Nizamian.

“Since there are 24 teams in our county, and there are so many law firms in this area, we have the toughest competition just getting to States,” Nizamian said.

Nizamian explains how this year’s success was surprising, yet completely well-deserved.

“We lost 12 of our 18 team members last year, [as well as] our dedicated teacher coach Ms Stewart, who had been running the program for 16 years,” Nizamian said. “We all expected this to be a rebuilding year, but instead, we pulled 11 brilliant students out of nowhere, and went undefeated, 7-0.”

“It is just such a big achievement to win in a county with 24 schools,” freshman Jason Willick said. “Especially after losing the majority of the team [last year].”

After the team’s loss of coach Suzanne Stewart last year, the more experienced team members have had to take on the responsibility of coaching itself. History teacher Eric Bloom has become advisor for the team this year.

Bloom explains that, without an official teacher coach to help out, the older students on the team have had to take what they learned from Stewart to help the team’s newer students.

“The upperclassmen have all been extremely helpful all year,” freshman Alex Sholtz said.

Nizamian describes the team’s methods they will use in the courthouse during State finals.

“For States, we’re going to keep practicing and focusing on improving our objections and knowledge of evidentiary rules,” Nizamian said. “Also, we have some really cool mock trial alumni, Matt Sheehan and Clare Richardson, who may be coming back to help out.”

Several team members have expressed their gratitude for the entire team’s dedication and hard work, attesting to the close bond that has developed between the members.

“It’s been the best opportunity of my life,” Sholtz said. “To be going to States as a freshman is really an amazing experience.”

“Not only is [mock trial] a great experience to go to the courtroom and compete, but my teammates are just a great group of people,” Willick said.

“There is a ton of mock trial love,” Nizamian said. “We all hang out together, both in and out of the courthouse. [The County final win] was the perfect way to cap off a dream season.”

The State finals will be held from March 28-30 in Riverside, CA.