Police called to remove non-students from Paly campus

The Palo Alto Police appeared on campus this afternoon to deal with individuals who are not Paly students and who refused to leave after multiple requests.

Six police vehicles and three motorcycles responded to a call from Paly security requesting assistance in removing from the campus non-students who were resisting their efforts.

“For safety reasons,” non-students are not allowed on campus before 3:15 p.m., according to Assistant Principal Jerry Berkson. Several non-students were in the girls’ gym well before then, said Berkson, who estimates that the students were discovered around 2:35 p.m.

The object of the non-students was apparently to watch a junior varsity softball game, according to both Berkson and police on the scene. A Paly student on the team chose not to play today, leaving with the non-students after retrieving her belongings from the campus, said campus supervisor Mary Puorro.

“They were asked once to leave,” Berkson said. “About 10 minutes later, they were asked again to leave. When they didn’t, the cops came and they asked them politely to leave.”

Between three and five non-students refused multiple requests to leave, requiring police persuasion, police said. The students finally left campus at about 3:30 p.m.

Police officers on the scene identified themselves by their first initials and last names, declining to give further identification. Three officers on the scene identified themselves as D. Flohr, J. Paneda and M. Temores.

“If you come and you aren’t from here and you cause trouble, you need to leave,” said D. Flohr, traffic officer.

Officer M. Temores agreed. “If you aren’t a student, you can’t be here,” he said.

According to Berkson, the students who wished to attend the game, which was scheduled for 3:30 p.m., would have been allowed on campus at 3:15 p.m.

Puorro was the first person to deal with the non-students, according to Berkson. He was then called to the scene.

Four other non-students left after being asked the first time, Berkson said.

According to the Paly Student Handbook, student visitors during school hours must have “at least two days prior arrangement with approval of Dean of Students,” but Berkson said that policy has been changed. As of four months ago, student visitors are no longer allowed during school hours, Berkson said.

“This happened because they were in the gym, well before 3 p.m. after already being asked to leave,” Berkson said.

“They refused to cooperate,” officer J. Paneda said. “They could have come back and they would be watching a softball game now.”