Living Skills 2 course offered for upcoming school year

Amid the dozens of electives on the new Paly course catalog, a new class called “Myth, Popular Culture and Social Change” – under the alias of “Living Skills 2” – strives for student attention and interest.

Living Skills teacher Letitia Burton says the semester class will include some of the topics used in Living Skills 1, but it will bring students to explore mythology, and cultural or social aspects of different parts of the world.

“I am interested in using mythology,” Burton said, “but I don’t just mean classical mythology. I think that mythology gives us clues or ideas about how to live our lives.”

Burton says the class will allow students to discuss and analyze different cultures and worldviews. The “social change” part of the title corresponds to the opportunity for students to share ideas for improving the world.

“Looking at our culture, [and] looking at the stories from around the world, there are things that we know that need changing,” Burton said. “And how do we do that – in ways that are constructive? And maybe not in big, national movement kind of ways, but how can we, right here at Palo Alto High School, plant seeds of social change?”

Living Skills 2 will include activities pertaining to topics of history, English, sociology, and psychology classes, according to Burton.

“There will be a little bit of everything,” Burton said. “So I hope that everyone will find something to connect to. I have this image that the class is kind of like a bridge between all these different subject areas.”

The class requires at least 28 students to enroll in order to exist, but Burton hopes many more students will be interested despite other existing and new classes offered at Paly.

“They [Social Studies Department] are starting a new AP Economics classes,” Burton said. “There is the Ethnic Studies course; there are psychology courses; [and] there is the Sociology course. So I know that I am up against those courses, too.”

Burton says her idea for Living Skills 2 came from personal inspiration from fellow Ph.D. professors and advisors in her Ph.D. program.

“I took a weekend course that used mythology as a way of talking about personal growth and individuation,” Burton said. “I was so turned on by that course that I thought, ‘Oh, this would be interesting as something to develop at a high school level.'”

Burton attends a private college called the Institute of Imaginal Studies, which specializes in psychology. Burton says she is pursuing a Ph.D. degree in psychology with an emphasis in cultural leadership, and she has a Master’s degree in psychology. Living Skills 2 will not require students to do community service or participate in the baby project, according to Burton. Moreover, Burton says the curriculum will express “scaffolded academics.”

“[There is a] lot of support for students who could not make it in a Humanities class or could not make it in a Sociology class,” Burton said. “So the structure would be that if you are really good academically, that is great. But if you struggle with academics, there will be systems in place to help you boost your scores.”

The class is worth 5 credits towards graduation requirements.

“I’m excited to be teaching it,” Burton said. “I feel there will be something for all students.”