SUPER TUESDAY COVERAGE

JSA holds mock primary elections

As California voters headed to polls Tuesday in the state’s presidential primary vote, the Paly chapter of the Junior Statesmen of America is holding a school-wide mock election so that all students, even those not legally eligible, can cast a ballot…click headline to continue reading.

A Democratic Dilemma

With California’s primary only a day away, Democratic candidates Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama are still battling for votes, going into Super Tuesday. Record numbers of Americans, including young and undecided voters, have turned up at the polls so far to support which candidate they believe is most qualified to succeed President George W. Bush. In California, 441 Democratic delegate votes are up for grabs…click headline to continue reading

Analysis: McCain vs. Romney

With California’s primary upon us parties have been compressed to two plausible candidates each. For the GOP, after several primaries, caucuses, and candidate dropouts, Senator John McCain of Arizona and Governor Willard Mitt Romney of Massachusetts have emerged as the front runners in the race. Although the tactic of nominating McCain may seem sound, he runs into trouble with conservative voters who make up the core of the GOP. The Republican Party is a conservative party and it may be detrimental to elect a president who has a habit of siding with the liberals in Washington. The recent bills McCain is most associated with, the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2007 and the McCain-Feingold Act, both have received criticism from those on the right. According to the Associated Press, McCain claims he would not currently vote for his own immigration bill, a bill many saw as “amnesty” for illegal immigrants…click headline to continue reading

A Campaign Sojourn

It was a balmy summer evening and the 2004 Democratic National Convention was live on TV. A man at the podium was speaking to a cheering crowd, saying, “There is not a liberal America and a conservative America –– there is the United States of America.” Fast forward to early January of 2008. The weather outside is cold, the moon is piercing bright. The location is 250 miles away from the aforementioned scene. I am standing in front of a poster with the same words written in blue and red colored markers, juxtaposed against a map of Nevada…click headline to continue reading…click headline to continue reading