A democratic dilemma

With California’s primary only a day away, Democratic candidates Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama are still battling for votes, going into Super Tuesday.

Record numbers of Americans, including young and undecided voters, have turned up at the polls so far to support which candidate they believe is most qualified to succeed President George W. Bush. In California, 441 Democratic delegate votes are up for grabs.

Both Clinton and Obama hope to win the Democratic vote in California but four factors, among others, are on the minds of California voters: Iraq, Healthcare, Immigration, and Climate Change.

The Iraq war has been a part of most American’s lives, with reports of suicide bombers, 19-year old Marines dying and innocent children being maimed, appearing daily in the news. Both Clinton and Obama believe that the troops need to come home as soon as possible. Hillary says she will craft a plan of withdrawal in the first 60 days in office with one to two battalions returning home per month. Obama’s plan states that within 16 months, the majority of troops will have returned home.

With respect to Healthcare, Clinton and Obama have similar goals but different outcomes. They both understand that our country is in the midst of a healthcare crisis. Hillary believes in universal healthcare because nearly 47 million Americans are currently uninsured. Under Hillary’s plan, every American can access this government healthcare plan even if they are already covered. She believes it is a moral imperative and a citizens’ right to be able to have access to healthcare. Healthcare is a huge issue since many Americans end up with not enough coverage for catastrophic care. Americans have been ruined financially because of inadequate healthcare. The current healthcare mess is unsustainable. Meanwhile, Obama has his hopes set on a plan that requires every family to choose which plan they want to pay for, including a plan available through the government. Insurance will be mandatory for children but not the adults who parent the kids. Obama’s healthcare plan factors in a degree of personal responsibility for adults needing healthcare coverage. He has stated that anyone needing, and wanting, insurance will be able to get it under his plan.

Both candidates acknowledge the connection between our consumption patterns and dependence on foreign oil and that effect on global warming (unlike our current administration). Both believe we need to lead the way in the world with respect to saving our planet. Hillary and Obama both have ambitious targets to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Hillary proposes a reduction of 80 percent from 1990 levels by 2050 and to cut foreign imports by two-thirds from 2030 projected levels to more than 10 million barrels per day. Hillary’s plan would transform our economy from carbon-based to energy-clean and energy-efficient. Barack Obama’s environmental policy is not much different than Clinton’s and believes in an 80 percent reduction in carbon emissions by 2050. He is also a proponent of next generation Biofuels. Both Clinton and Obama have plans for demanding improved fuel efficiencies in automobiles and for government investment in research and development of new, clean, green technologies.

While Hillary has been assaulted for her wavering stance on whether illegal immigrants should be able to obtain driver’s licenses, she has a plan to allow families of undocumented workers to stay together and creates a path to earned legal status for those who are already here in good standing. Both agree on bills such as: The Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act and Secure Fence Act. Both candidates believe we need to have secure borders, a reform of the current immigration policy, and in cracking down on employers who hire undocumented workers. Obama’s plan would allow undocumented workers, in good standing, to pay a fine, learn English and go to the back of the line for the opportunity to become citizens. He also believes we need to do more to encourage economic development in Mexico.

Super Tuesday is in less than 24 hours and after the votes are counted, Americans should have a more definite idea of who will represent the Democratic Party in the general election.