Paly jazz bands head to festival

Palo Alto High School’s Jazz Band and Jazz Ensemble will strive for top ratings at a festival sponsored by the Bay Area Section of California Music Educators Association (CMEA) this Friday at West Valley College.

“It’s sort of like a competition because you compare your score to what other schools got,” said junior Bryn Kimura, a Jazz Band member. “That’s why a lot of people think it’s a competition.”

Jeff Willner, the director of both Jazz Band and Jazz Ensemble expects that the two bands will do well in the rankings, and many students concur.

“I am not really nervous because the band is so good,” Kimura said. “There are a lot of really dedicated people. I know the band and the dedication of its members. And Mr. Willner has a really high level of commitment to fixing our flaws.”

Although some consider this event a competition, it is actually a chance for the members of the bands to hear feedback from someone other than their own teacher, according to Willner.

“The reason that you go to this festival is to get comments, not to win anything,” Willner said. “Even if you get the highest rating there is still room for improvement. This way everybody learns something.”

CMEA Bay Area section consists of volunteer music teachers throughout the Peninsula. During the year, the Bay Area section sponsors festivals where bands can attend other recitals as well as give their own performances.

Judges give performances scores up to 100, and award ratings based on the score earned. Judges consist of directors from all different levels, ranging from middle school to college. Judges award a certain amount of points in different categories such as rhythm, tone and overall appearance. The sum of all of these points gives the overall score, and leads to a rating of superior, excellent, good, fair, or poor.

The bands have been putting in some extra rehearsal time this past week to be better prepared for the festival on Friday.

“The bands are ready to roll,” Willner said.