Reward offered for knowledge of campus vandalism

Paly Assistant Principal Jerry Berkson is offering a reward to students who come forward with information about the identity of the perpetrators of the Paly library during the weekend of Jan. 19.

The first student who volunteers information that leads to the identification of the culprits will receive anonymity and a $100 reward, Berkson said. Additionally, the vandals’ names will not be made public.

“Come see me and come clean,” Berkson said. “We’ll keep it in the house and I won’t even suspend them [the vandals].”

According to Berkson, the vandals will still suffer consequences, but the police will not be involved if students confess. Berkson is also allowing students to send in a representative or innocent person to hear the proposal, and then make a decision.

Berkson says he has already been approached by a student with knowledge of who committed the vandalism, and Berkson is allowing the student until Thursday to make the decision of whether or not to step forward with information.

The Paly administration is also waiting for the Palo Alto Unified School District to give a response as to whether or not a student log-in has been detected of the library computers during the weekend of the vandalism, Berkson said.

Editor’s Note: This version correctly indicates Assistant Principal Jerry Berkson as the administration source quoted, and the premise of the reward offered.