Girls' soccer recovers from loss against Los Altos, beats Los Gatos

The Paly girls’ varsity soccer team beat the Los Gatos Wildcats, 4-2, Wednesday. The win followed a disappointing loss against Los Altos on Friday on Dec. 14, which ending the girls’ game winning streak.

“Every game this year will be tough,” Paly head coach Ernesto Cruz said. “We know what we have to do, we just have to execute.”

The win against the Wildcats and the loss against Los Altos leaves the Vikings with an overall record of 10-1, 4-1 in league.

The first half against the Wildcats featured two Paly goals from senior captain Teresa Noyola and sophomore Sophie Cain. Despite the points, Cruz was somewhat disappointed with the team’s initial performance.

“I try to have the girls play a possession game with the ball in control and on the ground,” Cruz said. “But in the first half, we were hitting more long balls than safe passes.”

The second half featured an additional goal for Paly by sophomore Kelly Jenks. The Wildcats responded with a more heated offensive press and two goals of their own in the second half, making the final tally 4-1.

“We played very well, we are keeping good team shape and communicating with each other more,” Noyola said. “We still could have possessed the ball better but because we finished our chances we were able to control the tempo of the game.”

The girls has high hopes for what they can accomplish in the remainder of the season, but still have many challenges to face before the much anticipated post-season.

“We will need to stay fit and avoid injuries so that we can face tough games against Mountain View, Monta Vista, and Los Altos with our full strength,” Noyola said.

In light of these future obstacles, Cruz has acknowledged that the team has suffered injuries. Of note has been sophomore Alex Nguyen, who had been out with a knee injury and made her season debut against Los Gatos.

“Due to injuries and other complications, I would say the team has been playing at around 60 percent,” coach Cruz said. “By the end of winter break, we should be closer to 100 percent.”

The girls’ season will resume on Monday, Jan. 7, at Mountain View High School at 3:30p.m.