"Play in a Day" returns to Paly theater

While most theatrical productions require months of rehearsal to memorize lines and stage direction, Paly’s annual “Play in a Day,” coming to Haymarket Theater this Saturday, only gives actors one day to learn and master their role.

Similar to past “Play in a Day” events, students involved in the productions will rehearse all day on Saturday after having their playwrights stay up all of Friday night to actually pen the play.

“This Friday, everyone who signed up comes to find out their group,” senior Adrienne Losch, president of Paly’s Thespian Society, said. “They [the writers] meet with their actors and then go home to write for the rest of the day. The next day, [Saturday] everyone gets together at the theater and rehearses all day.”

According to Losch, each writer will receive a buzz word and two props that they must incorporate into his or her play.

Losch stresses the fact that anyone can sign up to participate in these plays, whether they have taken a theater class or not.

“The purpose of ‘Play in a Day’ is to get more people involved in Paly theater,” Losch said.

Because “Play in a Day” is less formal than other theatrical productions (stage tech has been limited mostly to lighting and sound), not as much money is required to put into the performances, making “Play in a Day” the theater program’s biggest fundraiser of the year.

Losch explains how the event’s more casual atmosphere makes the plays more fun for both the actors and the audience.

“The plays are usually comedic and everyone has a lot of fun,” Losch said. “It is always really fun to watch and be in. Alumni come back to act and write from all the way back to graduating year of 2003.”

This year’s “Play in a Day” is scheduled for Saturday Dec. 22 in the Haymarket Theater at 8 p.m.