Paly literary magazine to hold bake sale Sunday

Members of Calliope, Paly’s literary magazine, will host a bake sale to fundraise for the magazine’s production costs Sunday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in front of Borders Bookstore in downtown Palo Alto.

“There is no theme [to the bake sale] except ‘delicious’,” senior Tess Christy said. “Expect to see all sorts of your favorite pastries.”

In addition to baked goods, Calliope‘s staff members will sell editions of last year’s Calliope and hand-made crocheted hats and flower pins.

The bake sale was planned for this Sunday so that it would coincide with Sunday’s farmer’s market downtown, and thus hopefully catch the attention of those Sunday shoppers.

Senior Sara Reihani says the funds raised from Sunday’s bake sale will go towards printing more issues of the magazine, which will consequently decrease the selling price of the magazine.

“We want to print more [magazines] than we normally do so we can sell them for less,” Reihani said.

Issues of Calliope usually sell for five dollars; if enough money is raised from the bake sale, Reihani plans to sell future issues of Calliope for two or three dollars instead.

Calliope members have not established a fixed value for the amount of money they wish to raise from Sunday’s bake sale, but Reihani says that they are hoping for “as much money as possible.”

Christy also hopes, in addition to raising money, that the bake sale will promote Calliope‘s name.

“We would like to publicize the mag[azine], but we also really need money,” Christy said.

Earlier this year, Calliope held a writer’s buffet, a fundraising event which called for a $1 entrance fee to attend. According to Reihani, a total of $15 was raised from this buffet. The success of Sunday’s bake sale is crucial for Calliope‘s members to generate even more funds for their publication, while a favorable outcome from Sunday’s sale may result in such bake sales becoming tradition for Calliope.

“If the bake sale goes well, we’ll probably have more in the future,” Reihani said.

After Sunday’s bake sale, Calliope‘s members will focus on preparing the next issue of the magazine, scheduled for January. Calliope‘s members generally accept a wide range of creative submissions from all Paly students for printing in their magazine.

Calliope generally publishes poetry, fiction, art and photography, although we’d love to see any of Paly’s creative efforts,” Christy said.