Campus reacts to hazing story

As the campus grapples with recent allegations of hazing, detailed in a Dec. 2 edition of the campus sports magazine, The Viking, Paly administrators say they are responding with plans for meetings with parents and athletes before every sports season.

“There will be no consequences for things that happened two years ago, but we already have parent meetings planned to discuss this,” assistant principal Jerry Berkson said.

Berkson praised The Viking’s story, which reported a culture of hazing largely unknown to the student body.

Reactions among students and staff have varied. While some were unaware of hazing before the article was written, others knew perfectly well what was happening.

“I’m surprised at what’s going on at Paly,” junior Lucas Matze said. “I think [hazing] is definitely going to be watched more.”

Sophomore Julian Pitt said, “The people who did the hazing took it way too far.”

Meanwhile, Stacey Kofman, Paly’s athletic trainer has a different take on things.

“I’m not surprised,” Kofman said. “We know it happens, but you can’t do anything unless you see it in the act. It’s only when it gets to the extreme that it’s not good.”

Due to this hazing article, much concern has been brought about from teachers as well as students.

“I am troubled,” English teacher Kindel Launer said. “I know the coaches we have here at Paly have spent their lives devoted to young people. I would expect grave concern on their part.”

This is exactly the attitude that P.E. teacher Linda Morris had towards the article.

“I was disgusted and disheartened by the inappropriate abuse that the players had to endure,” Morris said. “We at Paly should be a caring community. Something positive could come out of it. Maybe now parents as well as students won’t be afraid to come forward.”

Steve Foug, one of the football coaches, said that he was disappointed when he read the article.

“You can’t get the people that it [the hazing] happened to, to come forward,” Foug said. “This ‘tradition’ goes back maybe three or four years. It is a relatively new problem. I believe that it is destructive to team unity.”