Powder Puff rematch ends in tie for sophomores, juniors

Playing on a shortened field in the Paly quad, the sophomore and junior Powder Puff teams again played to a tie at lunch Wednesday, with each team scoring a touchdown in the 25-minute overtime period.

The sophomores won the opening coin toss, but chose to defend first, giving the ball to the juniors. The juniors’ first play was a run deep into sophomore territory, and two plays later they appeared to score. But a holding penalty took away the touchdown and moved the ball back from the original line of scrimmage. On a fourth-down run, junior Lizzie Henehan was stopped short of a score, and her team turned the ball over on downs.

The sophomores also started their drive with a long run before being pushed out close the end zone on their first play. After they fumbled near the end zone, the juniors appeared to have recovered the ball, but the fumble was declared a “dead” ball, meaning that the sophomores maintained possession but gained no yards on the play. The juniors put up a strong defense against the next two run plays and took possession.

Each side put up a score in the final minutes as the juniors ran for a touchdown from the left side on their first play and sophomore Brianna Boyd countered with a run of her own, tying the game at 7-7. The juniors looked to have one more chance to put the game away, but the sophomores intercepted their only pass of the day to tie the game.

The ASB announced that because the game ended in a tie, the two teams will play another continuation period in the quad at lunch on Friday. The winner of that game will play in the championship game on the football field on Friday after school.