Big changes planned for Paly campus

A new theater, a remodeled Tower Building, and a renovated library are some of the changes that may come to Paly if the Board of Education and district voters approve the bond for the Paly Capital Improvement Project.

The district’s interim co-chief business officer Robert Golton introduced the bond and project to Site Council for the first time during Site Council’s meeting on Dec 3. The meeting’s purpose was to familiarize Site Council and PTSA members with the proposed school bond and the future renovations that it could bring to Paly.

The Paly Capital Improvement Project includes about $750 million to be used over the next 20 years for the entire school district to remodel, renovate, and update its schools. The proposed bond is for $350 million to be used in the next 10-12 years. According to Golton, a professional poll was conducted and showed that the bond has 82 percent of the community’s support.

The Palo Alto Unified School District consists of 12 elementary schools, three middle schools, and two high schools. Assuming the bond passes, 20 percent of the money (about $79 million) will be used specifically at Paly over the next 10-12 years according to Golton. After that time, a new bond will be drafted for the remainder of the money.

Input from the Site Council, principal, and community will be taken into consideration, but the Board will have the final say and vote in February about the bond and the decision to put it before voters. Assuming the Board approves the bond project list, it will be put before voters in June.

The Paly Capital Improvement project includes two lists: one that contains $79 million dollars worth of projects that are currently funded under the bond and the other that contains $32 million dollars worth of projects that are currently unfunded. The lists are from a 20-year plan, so what does not happen with this bond will be pushed over into the next one. It is possible that some projects will switch lists before the Board votes.

If the bond passes, the first set of projects will be changes to main Paly buildings including the Tower Building, library, and theater. Classroom modernization will take place, including new casework, marker boards and tack boards, and window replacement, but other changes have not yet been finalized. For example, the Tower Building might be torn down and reconstructed or only receive interior renovation. The gyms may receive voluntary seismic upgrades, new roofing, exterior doors and windows, and interior renovation. For a full list of the current Bond Draft Summary see http://www.paly.net/parents/proposed_paly_projects.pdf.

A community meeting will be hosted by Site Council at 3:30 p.m. on Monday, January in the English Resource Center (in the Paly library). It will be open to parents and other members of the Paly community for discussion about the Paly projects on each of the lists and possible changes to each list.