Famous author, humanitarian visits Paly

Greg Mortenson, humanitarian and author of the New York Times bestseller Three Cups of Tea visited Palo Alto High School Friday to speak about his idea of promoting peace through education in some of the world’s most volatile regions.

“My favorite thing is always to talk to students; I think it is important because we need to leave a legacy of peace for our children,” Mortenson said. “As adults we failed to accomplish peace in the world but I see hope in the next generation.”

Introduced by Sophomores Sarah Martignetti and Aaron Ebert from the Global Literacy Club, Mortenson first spoke briefly about himself, then showed a video his daughter made about Pennies for Peace, and finally continued to speak about his cause. Pennies for Peace and the Central Asia Institute (CAI) were both co-founded by Mortenson and aid him in building schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan. Pennies for Peace is geared towards children and encourages them to donate small amounts of money like change to the cause.

“Pennies for Peace is children reaching out to help other children,” Mortenson said.

Many fourth period classes signed up to attend the speech in advance, but Paly staff as well as other members of the Paly community attended to learn about Mortenson and his humanitarian efforts. Student reactions to his story were positive.

“It was a great opportunity for students to listen to someone like him because we are so sheltered and don’t know about other parts of the world,” junior Florence Hsiao said. “He gave us a different view of what Muslims are like than what we usually learn about them.”

Mortenson established over 61 schools in rural and unstable regions of Pakistan as well as in Afghanistan. The schools he built provide education to over 25,000 children, including 14,000 girls. Mortenson, along with donors, established the Central Asia Institute (CAI) as well as Pennies for Peace, CAI’s sister organization. Both organizations work towards improving education throughout the unstable areas in Pakistan and Afghanistan, especially for girls.

“Peace will not come through power, but through dialogue and education,” Mortenson said. “We can drop bombs but unless girls are educated, a society will not change.”

During his speech, Mortenson surprised the Paly audience with statistics that only a handful of people in America are aware of: in 2000 at the height of the Taliban, 800,000 kids were being educated. Now 5.2 million are going to school in Afghanistan including 1.8 million girls.

“That is so inspiring and fills me with hope, but at all the places I have spoken at, I have only found 20 people who know that fact,” Mortenson said.

Mortenson not only educates children in far off countries, but also Americans. He feels that Muslims are represented badly in the media and wants Americans to have an unbiased perspective in Islam.

“I want people to understand that Islam is a religion of tolerance and peace that supports education,” Mortenson said. “The media has distorted people’s view of Islam in America and my greatest concern is that after 9/11, Americans are living in fear and not hope. The real enemy is ignorance – it breeds hatred.”

After the 2005 earthquake that devastated much of Afghanistan, international aid poured in, but after one year the international community forgot about Afghanistan. According to Mortenson, the U.S. spent $94 billion in the war with Iraq and $14 billion for military costs in Afghanistan, but only $38 million for education. Mortenson feels that education is the only way to attain peace and dislikes the methods being used right now by the American government.

“Combating terrorism is based in hatred, but working for peace is based in hope,” Mortenson said.