New Global Citizens Club hosts fundraiser

The New Global Citizens club will host a fundraiser at Chevy’s this Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. to raise money for the Center for Women Empowerment in Sierra Leone.

NGC is a national organization whose goal is to mobilize young people in helping to solve some of the world’s largest problems. It focuses on ten main causes: extreme poverty, mortality, maternal health, HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases, environmental sustainability, sustainable local economies, armed conflict, and natural disasters.

The Paly Chapter of NGC was started last year in March by juniors Catherine Chiang, Ahna Rao, Becky Byler, and Grace Morrison. Every year the club picks a cause to which it dedicates its year round efforts.

This year it has decided to focus on Women Empowerment in Sierra Leone. The Center that the club will be donating to supports, educates, counsels, trains, and loans money to women whose lives have been destroyed by war, poverty, or sexual abuse so that the women can become self-sustainable.

“Our goals are to educate the public about the cause and raise money for it,” Chiang said.

Winter Formal is the only dance each year that is not run by Paly’s Associated Student Body. Instead, it is run by a club and dedicated to the charity that the club chooses. This year, NGC along with the Action in Africa club will be in charge of Winter Formal.

The money raised at the Chevy’s fundraiser as well as at future fundraisers will be used to pay for Winter Formal. It costs between $1500 and $2000 to run Winter Formal according to Byler. The money made at Winter Formal will then be donated to the Center for Women Empowerment.

Twenty-five percent of the proceeds of student purchases at Chevy’s will be given to NGC if students take the flyer with them or tell Chevys that they want their meal to count for the club. The timings are intended to be convenient for students, who can go anytime on Wednesday between 11 a.m. and 9 p.m.

“It should be pretty fun and even if people don’t have time to go and eat there, they can get food to go,” Byler said.

An InFocus segment will be airing this Tuesday or Wednesday to inform the student body about this fundraiser and the club’s goals. Flyers will be passed out during brunch and lunch, and will be placed on cars and bulletin boards.

“I’m really excited, and I am sure people will have lots of fun once they get there,” Chiang said.