Paly senior plans to go to college and graduate as a soldier

Most Paly students who enter a four year college have aspirations of graduating and entering the workforce or going on to graduate school. But one Paly student has a different goal, a goal that allows him to gain a college education and serve his nation at the same time.

Senior Lance Taylor plans to enroll in an Army ROTC program in college.

“I want to be in the military and it’s the best route,” Taylor said. “You get a college education and a commission as a second lieutenant.” Taylor cites his main reason to join is to take advantage of one of the 2, 3, or 4 year scholarships offered for joining. The scholarships include full tuition along with extra money books, fees, and living.

Taylor will not be the first one in his family to join the military. One of his grandfathers went to Navy ROTC and became captain of a minesweeper, and his other grandfather was an army helicopter pilot.

“My whole life I’ve known about ROTC and have always wanted to be in the military,” Taylor said. Taylor claims his interest was first peaked when a friend of his joined the army and joined Special Forces. Now twenty-seven, he owns a security company in Los Angeles.

Although ROTC was started in 1916 by President Wilson, military training has occurred in civilian colleges and academies such as Norwich University, The Citadel, and the Virginia Military institute, since 1819. It is the largest officer producer in the US military, having commissioned half a million second lieutenants, and has several distinguished graduates including Colin Powell and George William Casey Jr., the current Chief of Staff of the Army. Currently the program has 20,000 cadets in 272 programs at colleges in all states, the District of Colombia, and Puerto Rico.

“My family strongly supports it [his decision to do ROTC] and the military,” Taylor said. With strong family support, Taylor hopes to finish college and join Special Forces like his friend. Taylor is not positive what he wants to do after the military but is considering a career the CIA or FBI.

“A couple of students [from Paly] usually do it [ROTC] every year, usually like two,” College and Career Counselor Wendy Sinton said. According to Sinton, students interested in ROTC are able to talk to military recruiters who come to the CCC to talk to students. Sinton says that due to Paly’s high academics, it contains many students who are eligible for ROTC scholarships. She cites the mains reasons students enroll in the program is the money for college, family tradition, opportunities in the military, and just because they want to be in the military.

Not only does Taylor send in applications to colleges, he is also working on his Army ROTC scholarship application. The application process consists of several different parts, starting with the application which is similar to an application for college. Then candidates for scholarships must complete a medical exam which involves a physical, eye test, and audible test. Applicants also must complete the Presidents Challenge Physical Fitness Test, a test that involves running a timed mile, push-ups, and the amount of crunches one can do in a minute. An applicant must also partake in interviews at schools he is applying to with the head of that schools ROTC program.

Although, it is possible to participate in ROTC without going through the application process, you must complete it and be selected to earn a scholarship.