Seniors sweep in after-school rally

After clothing competitions of all kinds, Paly finally came together Friday as much of the student body flooded the football bleachers in a sea of green.

The rally began with various cheers and chants. The hula-hoop and tug of war were main game attractions.

The seniors won in both the dance and float category. The scores for the games and class songs have yet to be tallied, but are expected to edge the seniors past the sophomores, according to junior ASB member Becky Byler.

The juniors suffered a significant blow when it came to class songs. The song lyrics didn’t match up with the music, and was five stanzas short of being the acceptable length. Instead of performing it, the juniors elected to pass their turn.

The seniors had the most outstanding song, going to the tune of “We Will Rock You.”

In floats, the seniors easily took first with their “Save a Tree, Hug a Senior” slogan across palm trees of brown pipes and green glittering leaves. In second, the sophomore float depicted a movie star set, with lights and all. At third place, the junior float, following their theme as nerds, showed the inside of a classroom with Class of ’09 on the chalkboard. The freshmen fell in last, their float in “goldfish” theme.

The rally was an overall success, although many students left feeling unsatisfied.

“I thought it [the lack of a junior song] was sad. I also thought that the lack of a teacher’s dance was dissappointing. Their dance is always really fun and I wanted to see it,” senior Laurie Nordlund said.

The seniors also snatched first place in the class dance competition. After getting through a shaky beginning with technical difficulties, the seniors found their rhythm. Through a compilation of tracks including “Stronger” and “Crank That,” the seniors put together a solid performance.

The juniors came in a close second. Their dance started in the classroom, beginning when the bell rang for passing period. The junior dance featured equal guy and girl participation, and was received with lots of applause as the bell rang once more, signaling the start of class, and the dancers scrambled back to their seats.

The sophomores and freshmen both had fairly unorganized dances, but a few extra moves managed to allow the sophomores to take third place.

Because they placed first in the competition, the senior dance team will perform at the football game later tonight.