Former Paly student arrested in connection with kidnap and assault of Gunn student

Just two days after a brazen attack on a local teenager, former Palo Alto High School student was arrested last night on charges of attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, kidnapping and two counts of sexual assault.

Todd David Burpee, 20, a 2006 Paly graduate, was arrested at approximately 10:30 p.m. near a relative’s house in San Jose, according to Palo Alto Police Agent Dan Ryan, who spoke at a press conference today at the PAPD headquarters. Police said they suspect that Burpee had been recently staying with a relative in the San Jose area.

The victim of assault, a 17-year-old girl and Gunn High School student, was knocked down, struck several times in the face, and dragged into a vehicle Wednesday near the 500 block of Arastradero Road, according to a police press release Wednesday. The victim was then taken to another location, sexually assaulted, and then driven to Sunnyvale. Soon after, the victim escaped from the vehicle and ran for assistance.

According to a PAPD press release, Sunnyvale motorist Fred Burgener spotted the victim running down the street and stopped to help her. Immediately, Burgener dialed 911 and remained with the victim until police arrived, according to the press release.

Burpee was arrested without incident and was booked into the San Jose Main Jail, according to the police. Police records indicate that Burpee has no criminal record other than a pending case of credit card fraud.

In today’s press release, the PAPD praised the victim for having demonstrated amazing heroism despite the horrible circumstances she endured. Palo Alto Police Chief Lynne Johnson also recognized the members of the community and of the police department for their hard work.

“You can imagine the fear that a crime like this,” Johnson said. “Especially in a pretty quiet peaceful community like Palo Alto, causes in the parents and in the young people.”

Burpee was a member of Paly’s track and football teams, and at the time of his graduation, declared his interest in joining the U.S. Marine Corps.

Burpee’s Sports Literature and Paly English teacher Mike McNulty says that he was shocked by the news of Burpee’s arrest. McNulty said Burpee was a good student that worked hard and was very polite.

Voice reporter Philip Homnack and Editor-in-Chief Michael Bloch contributed to this story.