Varsity volleyball rebounds with win over Eagles

Palo Alto girls’ varsity volleyball rebounded Tuesday from two tough losses last week, shutting out Los Altos Eagles in three straight games.

The first set began as Paly senior Ashley Acuff hit a blazing serve to put the Vikings on the boards. Fellow senior Euna Oh made some incredible saves that allowed the Vikes capitalize on the Eagle’s youthful varsity squad.

“Los Altos has good serving, but they are a young squad. This type of game gives them a chance to improve and learn,” Paly head coach Dave Winn said.

The entire team helped pull out a first game win included a spike by senior Hillary Ford and a solid tip from senior Jessica Juarez, giving the Vikings the 20-13 lead. Senior Abbie Havern executed a perfect slam through the outstretched arms of the Eagle defenders sealing up Palo Alto’s first game, 25-17.

“The girls have good, sound fundamentals. We had a great practice yesterday and I believe that the team is becoming much more confident in their play,” Winn said.

In the second game, Los Altos came out strong, scoring two consecutive points. Paly’s Hillary Ford retaliated, making a dive to save the rally and get Palo Alto their first point.

Junior Allison Whitson came out firing, with multiple slams in each game. She was truly unstoppable and showed she had earned her spot on the varsity squad.

“Ally dominated the game from start to finish,” Paly senior Brooke Seaman said.

The second game was full of action as balls ricocheted all over the gymnasium. Rallies were long with numerous attempts at slams and spikes. A key point in the game was when a ball was called in-bounds, in favor of Los Altos by the head referee. But coach Winn approached the line judge and challenged the call. The Vikings reclaimed a point as the line judge overruled the other official.

“I played pretty well. I don’t think it was my best performance though,” Ally Whitson, junior said.

The Eagles could not handle Palo Alto’s size and competitiveness. The third game began with two quick and consecutive spikes by Whitson. Her teammates stepped up in the third part of the match, with Ford and Juarez adding their own tips and spikes, helping to increase Paly’s lead. The Vikings eventually defeated Los Altos, 25-15.

Sophomore Marissa Florant was in and out of the games all evening, contributing to the win. She both assisted and executed spike in all three games.

“The girls were awesome tonight. They’re talented and you can tell because Paly has sophomores playing on the varsity team. Not only that, but they play in key matches,” senior Tyger Pederson said from the sidelines.

The Vikings next match will be against Saratoga on Thursday at 6:45 p.m. This upcoming game will test what the Vikings have learned throughout the season and hopefully allow for redemption of Palo Alto’s earlier loss this year to Saratoga.

“We played well tonight, bouncing back from our tough losses last week. This will help us gain momentum as we go into our game against Saratoga,” senior Euna Oh said.