Buy the soundtrack, but rent "Across the Universe"

The plot of Julie Taymor’s “Across the Universe” is not impressive, but the soundtrack saves the long and slowly-paced film.

Writers Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais tell the love story of Jude (Jim Sturgess) and Lucy (Evan Rachel Wood), set amid the backdrop of the anti-war protests of the 1960s in New York City. Songs by “The Beatles” are intertwined into the script, and their lyrics seem to expose more of the characters’ emotions than the actual script.

Taymor’s film is somewhat confusing during the beginning because it is difficult to differentiate between the main plot and side story lines. Characters are introduced one right after the other, the only common link being the music and their suffering, a fact which eventually leads them all to an apartment in New York.

As the relationship between Jude and Lucy grows, the conflict in Vietnam increases as well. When Max, Lucy’s brother and Jude’s friend, is drafted, both Lucy and Jude become involved in peace activism. However, differences in opinion soon form strains on the relationship.

The stereotypical 60s are portrayed in “Across the Universe” – hippies, peace marches, tie-dye and drugs. Many times after a reference to drugs, a musical number begins, and bright, funky colors and special effects take over the screen that remind viewers of The Beatles’ “Yellow Submarine.” While the effects add to the excitement of the film, the bold colors and patterns eventually are tiring

The special effects become overwhelming in part because the movie progresses at a slow pace, and progression is continually interrupted by the flashy and distracting change of style. There are some scenes that seem irrelevant to the progression of the plot, but allow the installment of another song by the Beatles.

The main plot does not reveal itself for some time, although the audience is given little hints throughout the beginning. However, the soundtrack lessens the resulting annoyance. It consists of classic Beatles tunes including “Let It Be,” “Hey Jude,” and “I Want to Hold Your Hand” with the twist of being sung by the actors and slightly altered instrumental accompaniment.

The movie has an excellent cast, and the actors’ voices carry off the tunes without sounding forced, and bring depth to the characters they portray through both songs and words. Wood was nominated in 2004 for a Golden Globe for her performance in “Thirteen,” and she continues her strong performances with her portrayal of Lucy in “Across the Universe.” Even so, she does not show the layers of Lucy’s emotions. Wood does a much better job expressing Lucy’s hidden emotions when she is singing; her voice glides along the notes, bringing out the unexpressed feelings.

Both Sturgess and Anderson give strong performances through their singing talent. Their acting is decent, but the songs make everything they do better. Anderson remains consistent throughout the movie, while Sturgess loses his spark at the end of the film. His last song seems to lack emotion that would have ended the film with more of a lasting impression.

What can be said is that the actors do an exceptional job with the simple plot that is dragged out for 131 minutes. Some of the scenes leave impression, but they are not absolutely necessary to further the plot.

Sadie (Dana Fuches), the landlord of the New York apartment, has an amazing voice that would convince anyone to buy the soundtrack.

While “Across the Universe” might not be worth seeing in theatres, renting is not a bad idea.

“Across the Universe” is rated PG-13 for drug references, sexuality, language, violence, and nudity.