Students join together to support first amendment rights

Students at Palo Alto High School are joining students across the country this fall in the national Your Voice, Your Freedom program, a campaign to help protect the free press rights of student journalists and raise money for the Student Press Law Center. The SPLC is a nonprofit organization dedicated to advocating for student free press rights and educating the public about the importance of uncensored student media. The center provides students and teachers with information, advice and legal assistance at no charge.

Through the month of October, Palo Alto High School will be holding a penny war to raise funds for the Student Press Law Center so it can continue to provide free support to student journalists in their efforts to report the news free from censorship. This event also will help promote the importance of the journalism program at Paly and reinforce the significance of a free press and the freedoms protected by the First Amendment.

Paly has the most expansive journalism program in California, according to Paul Kandell, advisor to Verde and Voice. There are five publications on campus: the features magazine Verde, Voice, Campanile, InFocus, and the new sports magazine Viking.

Through the Your Voice, Your Freedom program, high-school and college students for the first time have a chance to work directly with the SPLC to protect their rights by raising funds to support student press freedom.

To donate directly, visit http://www.firstgiving.com/paly.