Paly Library to celebrate Banned Books Week and Teen Read Week

At the heart of the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel “Beloved” by Toni Morrison, lies what some consider explicit and inappropriate content. It has the derogatory insignia of being “most challenged book of 2006” throughout every week but this upcoming one.

“Beloved” will occupy the spotlight in the Paly Library alongside many other challenged books as part of new librarian Rachel Kellerman’s exhibition about the history of banning books and the freedom to read.

Starting this Monday, Sept. 29, Banned Books Week will be celebrated nationwide in is 26th year. Soon after, Teen Read Week will follow, lasting from Oct. 14 to Oct. 20. Paly’s new librarian Rachel Kellerman will host many activities in the Paly Library in celebration of Banned Books Week and Teen Read Week.

Though banning books is not common among libraries in the Palo Alto vicinity, local libraries have received challenges in the past. According to Veronica Breuer, Paly’s past librarian, no challenges have come up for any book in the Paly library from within the past 25 years.

The most prominent campus events during Teen Read Week will be a Palo Alto City Library card sign-up during brunch and lunch.

“It is really essential that all Paly students have library cards so they can use the Palo Alto City online databases,” Kellerman said.

A blurb contest will also be held in the library. Students will have the chance to win Borders gift cards by reading a book in the library and writing a “blurb,” or plot summary. Winning blurbs will appear next to books on the shelves.

This year’s theme for Teen Read Week, decided by the American Library Association (http://www.ala.org), is “LOL @ your library,” reminding children and teens that reading is an enjoyable hobby. In celebration of this theme, the Palo Alto City Library is holding a contest for youth in grades 6-12 to create a YouTube video or comic about “What’s so funny about Palo Alto.” Prizes will be awarded to winners, as well as a pizza party for all entrants. Games and displays will be in the library as well.

Other school and public libraries in the Bay Area also plan to hold events and displays during the two weeks. According to Jordan Middle School’s head librarian, the most fervent readers in school are recognized each year.

“We ask teachers and parents to nominate ‘remarkable readers,’ McQueen said.

“Remarkable Readers are the really avid readers ─ you know, the ones who always have a book out, sometimes even walking through the halls. Students who are nominated as Remarkable Readers get their picture displayed in the library, get a certificate of recognition, and if they agree, get honored with a display at Main Library.”

At branches of Santa Clara County Library, ballots, sponsored by the Young Adult Library Services Association, will be open for teens to vote for their favorite books in the ‘Teens’ Top Ten.'”

According to Kellerman, reading is essential to a balanced life, but students nowadays don’t read nearly enough.

“It’s not just a problem at Paly, ” Kellerman said. “It’s a problem with all high school students. ‘Doing school’ and trying to chase grades and add extracurricular activities to one’s high school “resume” has cut into free time and that’s when kids read for fun.”

However, Deputy County Librarian Sarah Flowers of the Santa Clara County Library has a different take on teenagers’ reading habits.

“I think students are just reading differently,” Flowers said. “Although it’s true that schoolwork takes up a lot of time and limits pleasure reading, I think teens spend a lot of time doing non-book reading: they read blogs, MySpace and Facebook pages, text messages, magazines, email, websites (everything from iTunes to sports and news sites), etc. We’re just not used to counting those things as ‘reading.'”